Our Story

In the summer of 1951, Spurgeon Hall and his wife, members of Calvary Baptist church, attended a retreat at the Baptist Assembly in Ridgecrest, NC.  During one of the morning services on the subject of starting new churches, he was inspired and received a great vision of “what could be done in your own church to start a new one”.  Spurgeon felt led to start a small mission in order to reach people who did not want to attend a large church.  Upon his return from Ridgecrest, he presented the idea to his fellow church members.  The next fall the members elected Mr. Hall as the Chairman of the Missions Committee.  During one of their meetings it was suggested they start a mission on North Spring Street at the Carpenter’s Hall.

On January 20, 1952 the first service was held.  Five adults from Calvary along with one youth and one child were present.  This was the beginning of Spring Street Mission, which met at the Carpenter’s Union Hall for approximately three years. On July, 7, 1957, the mission became ordained as Spring Street Baptist Church. 

With the need for more growing room, in July 1962, the church decided to relocate to West Jackson Street.  On July 10, 1962, the church officially voted and changed their name to West Jackson Street Baptist Church and construction on the first worship center began.

The first services of West Jackson Street Baptist Church were held on Sunday, October 7, 1962.  Richard Clement was the first pastor. In 1983, West Jackson called its second pastor, Bert Harper. Under the leadership of Pastor Harper, West Jackson experienced tremendous growth. The church expanded its facilities to include the current worship center, fellowship hall, and student ministry building. In 2011, Pastor Harper left to pursue God’s call in another ministry. On October 7, 2012, West Jackson Street Baptist Church celebrated its 50th Anniversary.

In January 2013, West Jackson called its third Senior Pastor, Keith Cochran. With a rich heritage, and a bright hope for the future, West Jackson continues to be a light in Tupelo and all over the world by carrying out its mission to be a body of believers with a hunger for God, love for each other, and a passion for the world.